I’m a 4th year PhD student at the University of Michigan’s School of Information. My research is broadly on computational social science and social computing aimed at building better online communities. Currently, I focus on making conversations in online communities more deliberative and insightful. Drawing from social psychology and political science theories, I design studies, both observational and experimental, to inform building online spaces that can facilitate quality cross-cutting political interactions. I’m advised by Ceren Budak and Paul Resnick.
Before starting my PhD, I worked at Doximity, a social network for medical professionals, as a data scientist for a few years. I have a Masters degree in Computer Science from Arizona State University where I worked with Huan Liu on detecting sarcasm. Before that, I completed my Bachelors degree in Computer Science from VIT University, India during which time I worked with Ponnurangam Kumaraguru at IIIT Delhi on detecting phishing attacks.
I was awarded a Facebook fellowship in Computational Social Science in 2020. Here’s the research summary I submitted as part of my application, hopefully it’s useful for others applying.
- May 2021: Excited to start my Facebook internship working with Annie Franco on the Societal Impact team!
- April 2021: Full paper on polittical discussions in non-political spaces accepted at ICWSM’21! (pdf)
- March 2020: Full paper on personalization in Twitter political campaigns during the 2019 India general elections accepted at SMS’20! (pdf)
- March 2020: Full paper on how distinctive toxicity norms are maintained in political subreddits accepted at ICWSM’20! (pdf)
- February 2020: Great news! I was selected as a Facebook Fellow 2020 in the Computational Social Science track!
- December 2019: I just passed my candidacy exams on the topic Online Political Deliberation!
- June 2019: Very happy to receive the Best Paper Award for our work on caste attitudes in marriage. Check out the paper. More excitingly, the work was also picked up by a few mainstream news agencies including The Times of India.
- April 2019: Excited to have contributed to “Being Brown: South Asian Narratives of Brownness in South East Michigan”, an art installation. Check out the exhibit at the Hatcher Library Gallery this month!
- April 2019: Full paper on factors that affect caste attitudes in India and the Indian diaspora in the US accepted at ICWSM’19!
- February 2019: Confirmed, going to be working with Joyojeet Pal at Microsoft Research, Bengaluru during the summer!